As 2013 is coming to a close, we polled everyone here at the Zenfolio office to see what got us excited, terrified or even embarrassed this year. From transformative camera apps to our biggest regrets and even the craziest of dreams, this year proved to be anything but mediocre. So sit back, relax and enjoy reading what kept us going in 2013.
- The Hobbit
- Pacific Rim
- The Great Gatsby
Most memorable photo shoot:
- Beats Antique at the Fillmore
- Helped a coworker/photographer do a shoot involving wrapping a model in a towel and crowning her with thousands of bubbles all created the old school way (blowing through a straw into a cup full of soapy water).
- An underground crypt in Paris
- My daughter’s birth
- Flying water in midair
- Red wine
- Good television (and some bad science fiction)
- Chocolate, as always
- The show Scandal. It’s awful but so addicting.
Best new tools/tips that helped grow your business:
- My lens cloth
- Redesigned my website
- Basement studio
- Constant Contact to create a newsletter and email campaigns
- Getting published
Most embarrassing thing that happened to you:
- Fell and slipped on a rock while trying to dip my feet in water, injuring my knee.
- Sent a coworker a text meant for my boyfriend; addressed them as “babe” and asked them to pick up milk on the way home.
- Company photo with my zipper down.
- Drunk arguing with my ex-boyfriend in public, which involved a lot of yelling, crying and smeared mascara. I, for one, refuse to show any emotion when angry or sad.
- When I went zip lining in Costa Rica, I was a lot more scared than the 10-year-old girl and the 75-year-old couple that were in my group.
What you would take back this year:
- My car accident
- Just that hospital stay…
- Crashing other people’s high school reunions. It’s not as fun as you think it will be.
- Nothing. I believe every mistake is a lesson learned to only make you a better person. Without these mistakes/regrets, we wouldn’t change for the better.
- I’d love to take back all the excuses I made for not working out in the mornings. 2014 is the year I get back into my weightlifting shape.
- Travel, travel, travel
- Building terrariums
- Making smoothies
- Spotify Premium
Favorite new product or gear:
- New 85mm f/1.8 lens
- Canon 5D Mark III
- Totally Rad retouching software
- VSCO Cam app
Coke vs. Pepsi:
- Pepsi, duh. We are the new generation after all.
- Mexi coke! As in, the one with cane sugar that comes in a glass bottle.
- Neither. I don’t like soda. I’m all about water!
- Coke all the way.
- Neither. I drink root beer.
- After a recurring nightmare involving lions stalking me, I finally realized when being stalked once more that I was magically holding a hunting rifle! One shot into the air, and the lions left me alone. I felt totally victorious.
- I forgot it already. I’m pretty sure my grandfather was in it and we were fighting the undead. But I’m always fighting the undead…
- I had a dream that I went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and had Stephen Colbert as my tour guide.
- The whole Zenfolio company was doing a retreat at this huge house somewhere scenic, but then there was some sort of an outbreak (zombie-like but not quite zombie). So everyone here turned full-on survival mode with weapons, defense systems, etc. We kicked butt up until a tsunami hit the house and I woke up.
- I had this dream that I could fly from one beach to the next. It was amazing.
What did you love, or hate, about 2013? Enlighten us and leave a comment below.