Head of Design
Menlo Park, CA
Zenfolio is a market leading platform that helps more than 100,000 pro photographers present and sell photography online and turn their passion into a profitable business. It’s an exciting time to join Zenfolio - with new executive leadership we are strategically focused to help our customers take their business to new heights and transform the industry. For more information, visit www.zenfolio.com.
We are looking for a design leader for our company, who will lead all product design, user experience, user interface and user research and craft and deliver compelling, simple, modern and on-brand cross-platform customer experiences as we build an industry leading customer experience.
You will drive, not only, education and advocacy for design, experience strategy and vision for the customer experience across all levels of the company, but also, provide creative direction for the company and career development for the design team. You will have and can articulate a vision of the customer experience, are passionate about customer needs, obsessive about quality and can deliver measurable outcomes in tight deadlines. For this, you will work effectively with cross-functional teams of product managers, designers, marketers, engineers, business partners and executives and be able to align teams on a common design vision.
This is a senior role with a high degree of accountability and independence. The position is based in Menlo Park, CA and reports to the Vice President of Product and Design.
- Lead design efforts from concept to market of large and small initiatives, with an emphasis on simple and modern user-centered design principles
- Create, mentor and motivate a team of high-performing designers. Manage the team to help them achieve their career goals while actively building and nurturing a design talent pipeline
- Apply strong user experience, design and research fundamentals to deliver intuitive customer journeys that will inspire and align teams. Can not only create wireframes, storyboards, design specs and final feature designs, but also coach teams to deliver the same
- Advocate for the customers’ needs. Seek customer and cross-functional team feedback proactively and continuously improve the team’s output
- Transform desktop experience to mobile-first. Conceptualize ideas into creative, simple and modern responsive designs under technology and time constraints
- Able to prioritize and manage multiple design milestones and deliverables and successfully ship and iterate on consumer experiences
- Incorporate the latest responsive design trends and approaches and provide fresh perspective to the team and the company overall
- Able to measure outcomes and the quality of a customer experience
- Build strong relationships cross-functionally and identify opportunities to gain efficiency, remove obstacles, and simplify problems
- Determine user research direction for the company. Participate in and leverage user research and testing feedback to inform and validate design decisions
- Own, improve and maintain the design system. Own and maintain various design tools and infrastructure components. Own and improve overall design operations.
- 7+ years of product design experience with at-least 2 years in a product design leadership role where you have managed individual contributors and design leads. Experience with mobile design is a must. Experience with SaaS products and e-commerce is a plus
- Academic background in design, human computer interaction, cognitive science, experimental psychology, anthropology, information science, computer science or relevant discipline
- Demonstrated fluency in aligning and communicating user-centered design principles, graphic design, and web standards
- Demonstrated experience in strategizing and analyzing measurable objectives and outcomes for customer experience
- Expert level proficiency with interface design and prototyping tools of choice such as Adobe Creative Cloud products - Photoshop, Illustrator and Lightroom. Also Sketch, Balsalmiq, InVision and other prototyping tools.
- Have played an active role in or lead creating a design system from scratch and creating and owning design sprints
- Have worked on both waterfall and agile development methodologies and can adapt as needed
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to communicate design rationale and thinking. Ability to inspire and get people on-board
- Good sense of humor
- Passion for photography and/or an understanding of photographer workflows
- Basic knowledge of HTML and XML principles, source control (SVN)
- Speaker at design conferences, a public figure who advocates design-centered thinking
- An inspiring mission that impacts millions of customers
- Competitive salary and performance bonus
- Full benefits: medical, dental, vision, FSA, life insurance, 401K match
- Subsidized lunches, free snacks and drinks and fully stocked kitchen fridges
- Your choice of computer equipment
- Great work environment with some of the brightest minds and the opportunity to transform our industry
How to Apply:
Please send a link to your resume and your online portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org, and let us know why you think you would be a good fit for this role at Zenfolio.